Tuesday 18 June 2013

The adventure begins!

Yesterday was my last exam. As of today, I no longer have to worry about any upcoming exam or any other college-related thing like assignment, and can completely focus on GSoC. :-)

This past week, my mentor, Richard has been helping me get completely set up with the new layout for the project. The setup included an initializing script, "bootstrap.sh", which wasn't quite doing what we expected it to do, (partially due to my derping and using zsh instead of bash), and we spent quite a lot of time debugging.

Anyway, for the upcoming weeks, I'll be focusing the applications's Models. So I spent the day reading the documentation for Django models, managers, and the code for how the custom User model works in  django.contrib.auth.models. We will be working towards making extensible models, whose functionality can later be improved by plugging in "mixins".  Mixins are a topic that I haven't studied deeply. I think I wrote a few mixins as part of a Coursera class last year in Ruby, but that was quite a while ago. So I'll be spending some time studying the Mix-in pattern, specifically for Python, and work out how I can use that in my models.

I will then look into DRF (Django Rest Framework) and work on exposing these models via a REST interface.

That's it for now. Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment